Nourishing Bone Broth
Happy New Year! With Omicron surging in our community, it is the perfect time to cook up this warm and nutritious bone broth. Bone broth is nutrient dense with a rich flavor and easy on the digestive system. With a high concentration of minerals-including phosphorus, magnesium and calcium-it is a great immune boosting option to bring into your regular routine. Also, brewing connective tissue into bone broth provides the body with natural compounds from the cartilage. Studies show that many of the amino acids in bone broth (such as cystine, histidine, and glycine) reduce inflammation, and L-glutamine specifically reduces gut inflammation, so include EVERYTHING in the pot!
All you need to make this delicious nutrient powerhouse are:
- 2 carrots, chopped medium
- 2 celery stalks, chopped medium
- 1 medium onion, chopped medium
- 7 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3.5 lb of beef bones - roasted in oven first for better flavor OR 1-2 whole chicken carcasses
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt. I use Celtic sea salt.
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Alternate ingredients: Ginger (whole, roughly chopped), lemongrass, other fresh herbs such as Rosemary